Sunday, October 23, 2016

This email was sent by Sister Welker on October 17th.  We received it on October 16th.

Week 10: Power Outage, Singing for the Elderly, Miracle Moment, and Cool Enough to Be Pranked

This week wasn't as cool as last week but it was still fun!!

Thursday, we were coming home after a long missionary day.  We walked into the flat (apartment) and turned the light on to go up the stairs (since we live on the top floor) and then we walked into our flat and tried turning on the lights.  The light didn't turn on so we thought that the light bulb burned out, but then we tried another light, and another light, and they were all out.  We had a POWER OUTAGE!!!  Which is actually quite funny, since the light in our stair way worked.  We made a 1000 phone calls trying to figure it out and ended up staying the night in the Te Puke sisters flat instead.  The next day, we found out that there was a switch that we just needed to flick and everything went back to normal. 

Either Friday or Saturday, we went to sing for the elderly in Te Puke with the other sister and the Elders.  It was so much fun.  It's so cute to see the elderly light up as we sang and played instruments.  They started bouncing to the music and tapping their feet.  My companion sang some of her opera (she's a really good singer), and we sang some hymns and some more familiar songs like "You are My Sunshine" and "Somewhere Over the Rainbow."  I had a blast, and can't wait to go back and do it again.

We have a recent convert that was baptized in July that has been struggling.  She went back to drinking alcohol and feels embarrassed to come back to church.  We've been working with her a lot this week, and she's been really making progress.   One night, she texted us saying, I really want to drink, what do I do?  So we raced over to her house and talked with her.  Then Sister Johnson felt prompted to text a member to come over.  Without hesitation, he came over and he discussed with her that she needs to stop being so hard on herself, and believe she can stop drinking.  The next morning, we got a text from her saying that she was coming to church, and my companion and I got up from studies and started doing a happy dance!!

The Greeton Sisters had a baptism this weekend and we were able to help out with that.  I actually had a chance to be in a lesson with him the week before, and it was really exciting to see them get baptized. 

Last, but not least, I was cool enough to be pranked!!!!  Sister Johnson thought it was so funny that I was so excited that someone pranked us.  I don't think I've ever been cool enough to be pranked, but of course you realize this means war. ;)  We came out after meeting yesterday to find a family in our ward had wrapped toilet paper around our car.  I don't know why it was a highlight of my week, I must be a weird child hahah.

Well, that's it for this week.  I'm sorry, I hardly responded to any emails.  I promise I read them all, but I don't have enough time to respond.  Next week, I'll be sure to respond.

Have a good week.

Sister Welker
1 Nephi 3:7


No comments:

Post a Comment