Sunday, September 17, 2017

This email was sent by Sister Welker on September 4th.  We received it on September 3rd.  It is an account from one week ago (August 28th).

Week 55: Exchanges and Little Me

Not too much has happened this week.  And even if there was heaps that happened, I have like no time to write about it haha. We went on exchanges this week.  I was left to lead the area and for some reason, it was a struggle!!  We spent most of the time getting lost and just trying to figure out where these people live.  I really enjoyed spending time with Sister Mavea though.  She's a crazy fun Tongan and I spent some time with her in Tauranga, but didn't know her that well.  Now that we've had exchanges, we're like best mates!!  For anyone that has seen the TV show, Scorpion, she reminds me of a character named Happy.  She's just like her.  Sister Mavea has served in the army as a mechanic.  So that's cool, cause you don't meet very many sisters that want to serve in the army.  She has a strong testimony and has been born and raised in the gospel in Tonga.  We had such a blast and just kept laughing the whole time.  It was great!! :D

The other cool thing was that we meet a family that I'll call the Rogers.  The Rogers family consists of a single mom with 4 children (3 girls and 1 boy).  The oldest daughter reminded me a lot of myself when I was growing up.  It was as if I was able to time travel and visit my past self.  She had short shoulder length blonde wavy hair.  She had blue eyes and was a bit nervous/shy.  I couldn't help but feel that I was meant to meet her.

We, missionaries, forget that we can also have an influence on little children.  They look up to us and want to be more like us.  There was a time in South Auckland when I was sitting in sacrament meeting, and a child that was sitting behind me tapped my shoulder and pointed to a picture he had hand drawn.  It was a pictures of an elder and he wrote the words on the side "I want to be a missionary."  Tears flooded my eyes.  It was the cutest thing ever.  You really never know how much good you do.

I have like no more time.  I got to go, but I hope you all have a great week.

Sister Welker






No comments:

Post a Comment