Sunday, September 17, 2017

This email was sent by Sister Welker on September 11th.  We received it on September 10th.

Week 57: Putty in God's Hands, Miracle Weekend, and Vegemite

What a week!!! So much has happened in the last 7 days.

I got to spend the first half of the week with Sister Jabeque and Sister Mavea in a trio and then Thursday, I got my new companion!!

Her name is Sister Bashaw! :D She's 19 years old and has three other sibilings that are all older than her and married.  She spent this last year at BYU Provo and wants to study chemical engineering.  She's been born and raised in the gospel and is focused and ready to do the work!!! She's has a funny/sarcastic humor and is quick to love people.  She has an awesome laugh and is totally inspired.

When I asked my companion what you want to be by the end of your mission, she responded with "I want to be putty in God's hands."  I thought it was absolutely funny, and then I took time to think about it and thought it was such a cool answer.  To desire to have God be able to shape you however he likes, is evidence of complete trust and love for the Lord.  I hope one day I can be putty in God's hands too. :D

Day one together was rough.  No one was home or willing to let us in.  We both got kinda down thinking that it would be a long transfer, but then the next two days had miles of miracles!!

My favorite miracle had to be when we visited Asia and Miley.  We found Asia (name changed) a funny, happy, 70 year-old sister when knocking doors.  It had been a pretty sad day and we had little to no faith left.  As we knocked on her screen door, she jumped and said "You gave me a fright."  We apologized and for the next 30 minutes, we were laughing and talking as if we had known each other for years.  Her neighbor, Miley, then came over and talked with us as well.  Before we left, we sang "Battle Hymn of the Republic," and were given soup and some cookies to take home.  We've seen her two or three times since, and we never leave empty handed!  

When we were invited to come over yesterday, she had two other visitors at her place.  They were a cute senior couple from Hamilton, and are members of the Salvation Army faith.  We were able to casually talk.  One of the visitors continued to ask questions of what we do as missionaries.  We were allowed to share a spiritual thought.  We opened to Luke 22:43, which describes when Christ was suffering, and how God sent and angel down to comfort Christ.  We explained how we were all watching Christ when he was suffering in the garden--that we all must have been there watching.  And while it only makes reference to one angel, who knows if you were the angel to comfort Christ.

As we walked to the car, I explained what a miracle that was to my companion.  I told her how the chances of that senior couple letting missionaries into their home if they knocked on their door would have been slim.  But because of this unique opportunity, this cute senior couple was able to both meet and talk with missionaries.  And they even had a chance to feel the spirit of the Lord!!

By far the best miracle this weekend!! And our less-active family came to church!! :D

Lastly, my companion is from Las Vegas, Nevada and is cold all the time, especially with the winter breezes.  I often tease her and have started calling her "Vegemite" every time she tells me she's cold.  It's like Vegas and mite haha.  So that's just a funny inside joke.

Hope you all have a good week!!

Sister Mandy Welker
My new companion, Sister Bashaw :D

The force is strong with this one ;D

Spiritual Thought :D


No comments:

Post a Comment