Sunday, March 19, 2017

This email was sent by Sister Welker on January 30th.  We received it on January 29th.

Week 25: Return of the Trio, Back to the Basics, and Donaldson Papers

It's amazing how much can happen in a week!!

Monday was my sister's birthday!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY MONI-Q!! She's now 18 years old, now an official adult!! It's pretty exciting.  For those of you who don't know my sister, she has the BIGGEST HEART!!  She cares so much about everyone and wants what's best for them.  She's one of the most determined and hard working people I know.  She has a beautiful voice and is a fun, energetic, spunky girl.  But most of all she is MY sister.  We've definitely had our ups and downs, but she's always been there for me.  I miss her so much and hope that she had the best birthday!! I love you Monique <3

Tuesday was District Meeting.  It absolutely blew my mind!! The meeting was all focused on a talk which I believe is called the Donaldson Papers.  It's a training that was given to the missionaries in the Las Vegas West Mission, and it focuses on the basics.  Us, missionaries, tend to complicate things especially when it comes to the gospel, but the gospel is actually quiet simple.  A good majority of the talk described ways on how to become a Preach My Gospel missionary.  Things that I learned before in the MTC, but have forgotten over the last six months.  By the time my companion and I finished reading the talk on our own time, I was in tears.  I knew that there were changes I had to make and from that time on, I've become a different missionary.  I highly recommend the talk for anyone who is currently serving a mission.

Wednesday, one of the Te Puke sisters wasn't feeling great.  So my companion Sister Jabeque stayed with Sister Ofa, while Sister Reynolds and I covered both Te Puke and Welcome Bay/Mount for the day.  It was like we were back to the trio days!! :) Somehow their appointments fit in PERFECTLY with our appointments.  It was as if it was meant to happen.  I enjoyed being able to spend the day with Sister Reynolds.  She's truly an inspiration to me and makes me want to be a better missionary.  Good thing she lives in Idaho, so I can easily find her after my mission. 

Thursday, we went on exchanges with the Greerton Sisters.  So I felt as though I didn't see my companion for two days!! It was a good exchange though.  Sister Ah You is so cute and really cares about those she teaches.  She has a genuine interest in helping the people of New Zealand return to Christ.  While we were on exchanges, we taught a lesson to one of our less-active members in the Mount Ward.  Sister Evans (name changed) hasn't been to church in ages!!  They're a great family, but they just don't come to church.  We decided we would teach Sister Evans about prayer.  It was a very simple lesson, yet it was one of the most powerful lessons I had given in a while.  We reviewed the three steps to pray and then asked her if Christ was sitting right here, what would she ask him.  I wondered what I would ask Christ if He was really sitting beside me.  It reminds me of a primary song called "If the Savior Stood Beside Me."  With prayer, we can ask our Heavenly Father anything we want.  Anything from 'Why is the sky blue?' to 'Is the Book of Mormon true?'

I can promise you that God really does answer our prayers and that he knows exactly what you're going through.  He wants to bless us--he's just waiting for us to ask.  "I am mindful of you always in my prayers, continually praying unto God the Father in the name of his Holy Child, Jesus, that he, through his infinite goodness and grace, will keep you though the endurance of faith on his name to the end" Moroni 8:3.

Thanks for all the love and support.  I miss you guys all so much!! Thanks for always being there for me when I needed you.  Have a great week.

Sister Mandy Welker

No comments:

Post a Comment