Sunday, December 10, 2017

This email was sent by Sister Welker on November 27th.  We received it on November 26th.

Week 68: Testimony challenge, Gave a talk in church, Thanksgiving, and Transfers

Kia Ora eveyone!! Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and a safe Black Friday.  Our branch had a cute little Thanksgiving feed of our own, but no one does Thanksgiving as well as the US.  It was still yum and my companion and I had a blast!!

We also had exchanges with the Hawera Sisters. I went to Hawera with Sister Leota and Sister Scherer went to New Plymouth with Sister Bashaw. The theme was all focused on testimonies.  I had each sister commit to share heartfelt testimonies whenever they have the opportunity to share their testimony.  I noticed a difference when I gave my testimony.  I think sometimes I go robotic and just share my testimony as if it's a chore or something expected.  But I could really notice the difference this last time, and was more careful with what words I shared in my testimony.

I gave a talk in church yesterday.  I talked about being a daughter of God from the 5th chapter in the Gorden B. Hinkley Teachings of the President of the Church book.  I won't attach the whole talk but here's one of my favorite paragraphs.

PART OF MY TALK:
During the time when Christ was on the earth, there was another woman.  One who was physically dragged to His feet, and accused of committing adultery.  The scribes and Pharisees wanted so badly to prove Christ wrong, that they literally placed this woman's life in his hands.  She too could have been killed for her actions.  As the crowd stood and watched the scene unfold, I can only imagine this woman was bracing herself for the worst.  Never before had she been so scared, so embarrassed, and so disappointed in herself.  And now that it was time to suffer the consequences, she didn't run, or give any excuses.  Rather, she painfully waited for her fate to be decided.  Once the crowd dispersed and she was left alone with Christ, it was then that Christ asked her, "Where are those thine accusers?"  As the woman searched the room and realized that the ones who dragged her to the feet of Christ were no longer near, she responded with "No man, Lord."  Then Christ lovingly said "Go, and sin no more."  For me, this woman helps the Atonement come to life.  Rather than being stoned to death, Christ spiritually was stoned for her.  Only Christ could forgive her so freely, for the price would be paid by Him when he would suffer in the Garden of Gethsemane.  And because Christ loves her and loves us all, she was forgiven and we can be, as well.

And this week is Transfer week.  I have NO IDEA what's gonna happen.  It could easily go either way.  I've been in Taranaki now for 4ish months and I might stay a little longer or I could be going to a new area.  I honestly have never been so uncertain of what would happen for transfers before.  Usually I have a little idea of what might happen, but this time I'm clueless.  We find out tomorrow, so I'll be sure to let you guys know next week what happened.  Whatever happens, it was meant to be.

December 1st is this week!?!? Crazy right!?!? But that also means that light the world starts!!! :D It's a video advent calendar on 25 ways you can be more like Christ.  Each day there's a little challenge of what you can do and it's super fun and super cool!!  I'll be doing as much as I can as a missionary, but I recommend you all do it too :D This Christmas season let's all try and be little more like Christ. (https://www.mormon.org.nz/?cid=HP_FR_24-11-2017_dMIS_fMORG_xLIDyL1-A_)

I love and miss you all thanks again for all your thoughts and prayers.  Know that I'm grateful to have all of you in my life.  Have a great week!!

Sister Mandy Welker

No comments:

Post a Comment